Content marketing is here to stay, but many companies aren’t sure how it can help them. Some don’t fully understand what it is. Here are a few commonly-asked questions about content marketing and its impact on your business.
1. What is content marketing?
Content marketing is a marketing approach that involves creating and sharing helpful content to customers and potential prospects with the intent to increase sales. The goal is to shift the focus away from merely selling your product, and instead provide valuable information to consumers, thus building credibility and trust. By creating informative and engaging content, you create a resource for consumers to come back to over and over again, and create a community of people interested in what you have to say.
If they trust your content, they will trust what you’re selling.
The specific format you decide to create this content with can vary widely. Some examples include: blogs, white papers, videos, infographics, case studies and e-books.
2. Why should I be interested?
Now that you know what content marketing is, you might be wondering why it’s such a big deal. To highlight a cool infographic from Content Plus, creating and sharing content can do many things for you, including:
- Increase traffic. Websites with a blog receive 55 percent more traffic than websites that remain static.
- Gain followers. Interesting content is one of the top three reasons people decide to follow brands on social media.
- Obtain more leads. Another helpful infographic shows that B2B businesses who kept up an active blog had 67 percent more leads a month compared to other companies.
3. How much are marketers spending on producing content?
So you can see that there is more to back up content marketing than just hype. But if you’re still not ready to jump in the game, here’s a snapshot of other B2B marketers’ use of content:
- 91% of B2B marketers are currently using some degree of content marketing.
- On average, B2B marketers are spending 1/3 of their budgets on content marketing.
- Not only are they dedicating a hefty portion of their budget to creating content, but 54% plan on increasing their spending for next year.
4. How can I measure content marketing?
How will you decide if content marketing has a substantial return on investment for your business?
Most B2B marketers measure web traffic, sales lead quality and social media sharing to measure ROI, but other measurements—like conversions of leads to sales—might work better for your business. What you’re measuring depends on your goals.
According to the Content Marketing Institute, the top marketing goals for businesses included brand awareness, customer acquisition and lead generation.
These content marketing basics will create a solid foundation and help your business dive into the waters of content marketing. It may be cold at first, but you’ll be warmed up and ready to go in no time.